Sunday, May 9, 2010

The Hold Steady

Most of the time, I agree with Family Guy. Quoting other people's lyrics to make yourself sound deep/communicate your emotions is for teenagers. But sometimes you're driving through Christmas, Michigan and something on a new CD just pops up and smacks you across the face. And, hey, I just got mistaken for a high school student on Friday, so maybe that's the universe giving me permission to laspe just this once.

So if it has to be a secret.
Then I guess that I can deal with it.
God only knows it's not always a positive thing.
To see a few seconds into the future.

And if you swear to keep it decent, then yeah, I'll come and see you
But it's not going to be like in romantic comedies.
In the end, I bet no one learns a lesson.

~ "The Weekenders", The Hold Steady

Some people might understand why there was resonance in these lyrics more than others do. I don't care to be explicit about it, it's not my story to be explicit about. Not solely, anyway.

The progression of truth is interesting to me. How we change how we tell stories based on our audience, what they'll appreciate, what they can handle... how we want them to view us.

For instance. I had an experience the other day - not one I am ashamed of by any means, one that was private and lovely. I told my mom (who I've been vacationing with for the past week, until she flew home yesterday and my dad flew out to drive me home) some of it, but not all of it by any means. The version my dad recieved? Even further simplified. The version I have told the friends I've spoken to since then has been more open in some ways, but still not the full story. I guess the full story is only mine.

So where does the truth exist? What is the truth? Are there different truths for different people? Or perceptions?

No comments:

Post a Comment