Wednesday, June 9, 2010

A Month In

Technically, I haven't quite been "home" (aka, back in Calgary) for a complete month. But tomorrow is Theatre Thursday and since I'm actually going to see theatre both tonight and tomorrow night, I may actually have on-topic things to write about. Also, I should be getting ready to go volunteer FoH tonight which means there is really nothing better to be doing other than take stock of where my life is at a month in. Because, well, it's cold in my room where my getting ready things are.

~ I'm either really enjoying going to the gym or I've successfully convinced myself that it is baaaaad if I don't go. Either way, I feel guilty if I miss a day and I don't want to die when I walk down to the changeroom anymore, so these are good things. The whole having a personal trainer thing really helped, I feel like I'm using my time to the utmost when I'm there which makes it worthwhile in my books.
There are many things I wonder about, though. Like chewing gum while lifting weights. And why I very rarely see other young women around the weights with me. And if the recumberant bike is lazier than the upright bike. Maybe I should do a post about all of my gym-time musings.

~ Nothing is better at the end of an expensive day than walking into the house and finding a cheque tucked into your laptop. It's been a long time since I've been able to do paid work - living somewhere different every month doesn't lead itself well to being able to be gainfully employed - so even though it was a one-off, it was still incredibly satisfying. Not to mention, any time I can get paid for theatre work, it's thrilling. Paid theatre work is still a rarity for me since, really, my career is starting right this second so I still get giddy over a $70 cheque.

~ In sad news, I had really hoped to do youth theatre residencies over the next year. Unfortunately, the company I had hoped to work with is full in terms of instructors at this point, so I may look into temping or return to the railway training idea. Returning to Calgary too late to do what I want has been an on-going theme for me over the past month - I missed a lot of auditions, this residency thing, my entrance to the OCT came in too late to be useful in teaching full-time next year - and while I do understand that this is what happens when you change your life goals midstream, it's still a little bit disheartening. However, this is what I've chosen and I'm trying to look at the bright side. Like that $70 cheque. Or the fact that I do have one show lined up. Or that I had a classical theatre audition go really well (keeping in mind that really well doesn't always mean booking a show at this juncture) - which is promising when you remember that classical theatre is what I want to do.

~ Things always come up throughout the year. I just need to keep my eyes open and my head up and my skills always sharpening and things will work out the way they are meant to.

~ I wish it would stop storming. It is making it really difficult to reclaim the adorable summer clothes I found in my closet. And it makes me depressed to stare at grey sky on my "work from home" days. There is no inspiration to do lesson plans there!

~ I only admitted this outloud - which means for real - last night and I'm hoping now that might mean I can begin to work past it. I should be more upset over what's over. But instead, I'm more upset over what I can never have. This means... I'm not sure what it means.

It means I should go downstairs and wrangle my hair into something vaguely attractive. Or appropriate for greeting public and handing out programs, at the very least.

2 comments:

  1. I like the blog so far... Keep it up - you're a good writer!
    -Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete