In my ongoing search of giving myself writing prompts for different days of the week (and, yes, I know I missed Song Lyric Sunday, but give me a break! I was sore from my personal trainer and that appparently affected my typing!) I have officially labelled Thursday as "Theatre Thursday".
You may ask, "Why pick Thursday and not Tuesday? They both start with the same letter!". If you ask this, you are a little overly obsessed with my decision making process. However, I will answer anyway because I appreciate people being obsessed with me... only to the non-creepy point, of course. Is there non-creepy obsession? Erhm... non-sequitar and a half there. Anyway. I picked Thursday to be "Theatre Thursday" because Thursday is the day that my mom and I have our theatre subscriptions for. It means that we always get to go to Vertigo Theatre opening nights. It is an ideal state of being.
Right now, I don't have too much theatre going on in my life. Next week, there will be tons what with Ignite! and Mob Hit's As You Like It opening next week - all of which I will be expected to attend as a Calgary theatre artist and future Classical actress. Also, I'm helping workshop a show with APN today and tomorrow which is so much fun, but I feel it would be less than prudent to comment on the process. It's not my story to tell, you know?
So, instead? I will talk about the best sight gag I've ever seen!
I am horrendous at physical gags. Not doing them - tell me what to do and I'll perform it with aplomb. But thinking of them. It is not my forte. You know how some people can walk into an audition, get a cold read, spend a little time with it and come up with some amazing gag that has everyone else auditioning in stitches? ... Not really me. I'll stick with my vocal work and unhilarious physical offers.
However, being horrendous at it doesn't mean I don't enjoy a good physical sight gag. And the very best one I've ever seen? Came in a Pumphouse DDC show last summer. Where I watched a fourteen year old playing Nemesis smack Starbucks cups out of the hands of ten different characters in a row. It never stopped being funny.
This either says something about the quality of theatre being put out by teens... or it says something about my taste in theatre.
Hmmm.
No comments:
Post a Comment